The editorial board of the Society of Dance History Scholars welcomes the submission of manuscripts for its monograph series Studies in Dance History. Because the society defines dance history in the broadest possible terms, the board encourages submission of manuscripts on a wide range of topics. The series is devoted to books by a single author or editor organized around a single theme.
Cover Letter. A cover letter, addressed to the chair of the SDHS editorial board and accompanied by a résumé demonstrating the qualifications of the author, should include the following information:
- Title of the work
- Address, daytime telephone number, and e-mail address of the author
- Abstract or summary of contents of the work
- Number and nature of illustrations, notation, or musical examples to be included
- Estimated extent of previously published material to be included
- Statement of the original contributions the book makes to the field of dance history, explanation of how the book differs from work already published, and description of the anticipated audience
- A statement that the manuscript is not currently under review by another publisher
- Name of word-processing program used in creating the manuscript
- Estimate of total word count
Manuscript Review. Your manuscript will be reviewed by the editors of Studies in Dance History. If it is judged to be appropriate for publication in the series, a copy will be sent to an independent reader for a formal evaluation. You are welcome to suggest the name of a suitable independent reader. Members of the SDHS editorial board may also be asked to evaluate the manuscript and provide a written report. Manuscript evaluations are presented to the editorial board during twice-yearly meetings, usually held in June and October. Authors are thereafter promptly notified of the board’s decision.
Editorial Policies. Once officially endorsed by the SDHS editorial board, the manuscript is forwarded to the Board at the University of Wisconsin Press. The final details regarding contract, book length, graphic design, etc. are negotiated directly with the University of Wisconsin Press in consultation with the chair of the SDHS editorial board.
Submission. Send manuscripts toSarah Davies Cordova
1830 East Kane Place, #3
Milwaukee, WI 53202