The proceedings of the Society of Dance History Scholars annual conference have been published every year except the first four years of the society's existence. This collection of papers is compiled from files provided by authors who wish to contribute their papers as a record of the annual conference. In recent years, the papers have been presented in a common graphic format, thanks to digital technology, but in all published volumes the content of each paper is unchanged from that provided by its author.
Copies of the proceedings of "Dancing in the Millennium," the 2000 conference held jointly with other dance organizations, are available for purchase, as are copies of the proceedings of SDHS conferences of a few previous years. Available volumes may be ordered by use of the attached order form (pdf). To see tables of contents, click on underlined titles in the following list:
- 2015 Proceedings: Joint conference with Congress on Research in Dance (CORD). Focus: Dance Advocacy in the Age of Austerity: 4–7 June, 2015, Athens, Greece
Guidelines for submission of conference proceedings may be found here.
- 2014 Proceedings: Joint conference with Congress on Research in Dance (CORD). Focus: Writing Dancing/Dancing Writing: 13–16 November, 2014, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa.
- 2013 Proceedings: Thirty-sixth Annual Conference, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. Focus: Dance ACTions — Traditions and Transformations
- Proceedings of the Special Topics Conference 2013: “Sacre Celebration: Revisiting, Reflecting, Revisioning”: 18–20 April, 2013, York University, Toronto, Canada
- 2012 Proceedings: Thirty-fifth Annual Conference, The University of the Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Focus: Dance and the Social City
- 2011 Proceedings: Thirty-fourth Annual Conference, York University and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada. Focus: Dance Dramaturgy: catalyst, perspective, + memory
- 2010 Proceedings: Thirty-third Annual Conference, University of Surrey, Guilford and The Place, London, UK. Focus: Dance & Spectacle
- 2009 Proceedings: Thirty-second Annual Conference, Stanford University, Stanford and San Francisco, California. Joint Conference with DCA. Focus: Topographies: Sites, Bodies, Technologies
- 2008 Proceedings: Thirty-first Annual Conference, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, New York. Focus: Looking Back/Moving Forward: International Symposium on Dance Research
- 2007 Proceedings: Thirtieth Annual Conference, Centre National de la Danse, Paris, France. Joint conference with CORD.Focus: Re-Thinking Practice and Theory/Repenser pratique et théorie
- 2006 Proceedings: Twenty-ninth Annual Conference, The Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada. Focus: Grounding Moves: Landscapes for Dance
- 2005 Proceedings: Twenty-eighth Annual Conference, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. Focus: Dancing From the Center
- 2004 Proceedings: Twenty-seventh Annual Conference, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Focus: Celebrating Dance, Celebrating History
- 2003 Proceedings: Twenty-sixth Annual Conference, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland. Focus: Dance History on Shannon's Shore
- 2001 Proceedings: Twenty-fourth Annual Conference, Goucher College, Towson, Maryland. Focus: In the Moment
- 1998 Proceedings: Twenty-first Annual Conference, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon. Focus: None stated
- 1997 Proceedings: Twentieth Annual Conference, Barnard College, New York City. Focus: 1979–1997: Reflecting Our Past, Reflecting on Our Future
- 1989 Proceedings: Twelfth Annual Conference, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona. Focus: Regional Influences
- 1988 Proceedings: Eleventh Annual Conference, North Carolina School of the Arts, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Focus:Ballets Russes
Copies of proceedings of SDHS conferences of other years are no longer available for purchase. They can be found in the dance collections of most major libraries.
- 2000 Proceedings: Twenty-third Annual Conference, Held Jointly with the Congress on Research in Dance, the Dance Critics Association, the National Dance Association, and related organizations, Washington Marriott Hotel, Washington, D.C. Focus: Dancing in the Millennium
- 1999 Proceedings: Twenty-second Annual Conference, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Focus: None stated
- 1996 Proceedings: Nineteenth Annual Conference, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. Focus: Speaking of History: Dance Scholarship in the 1990s
- 1995 Proceedings: Eighteenth Annual Conference, Held Jointly with the Association for Dance in Universities and Colleges in Canada, Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto, Ontario. Focus: Border Crossings: Dance and Boundaries in Society, Politics, Gender, Education, and Technology
- 1994 Proceedings: Seventeenth Annual Conference, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. Focus: Retooling the Discipline: Research and Teaching Strategies for the Twenty-first Century
- 1993 Proceedings: Sixteenth Annual Conference, Held Jointly with the Congress on Research in Dance, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, New York, New York. Focus: Of, By, and For the People
- 1992 Proceedings: Fifteenth Annual Conference, University of California, Riverside. Focus: American Dance Abroad: Influence of the United States Experience
- 1991 Proceedings: Fourteenth Annual Conference, New World School of the Arts, Miami, Florida. Focus: Dance in Hispanic Cultures
- 1990 Proceedings: Thirteenth Annual Conference / Fifth Hong Kong International Dance Conference, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts, Wanchai, Hong Kong. Focus: Contemporary Issues in Dance: A Global View
- 1987 Proceedings: Tenth Annual Conference, University of California, Irvine. Focus: None stated
- 1986 Proceedings: Ninth Annual Conference, City College, City University of New York. Focus: None stated
- 1985 Proceedings: Eighth Annual Conference, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Focus: The Myriad Faces of Dance
- 1984 Proceedings: Seventh Annual Conference, Goucher College, Towson, Maryland. Focus: None stated
- 1983 Proceedings: Sixth Annual Conference, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. Focus: None stated
- 1982 Proceedings: Fifth Annual Conference, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Focus: None stated
No proceedings of SDHS conferences held in earlier years were published.
The fourth annual conference, billed as "A Bicentennial Celebration: Dance as Social and Popular Entertainment," was held jointly with the American Dance Guild and the Congress on Research in Dance at the University of California, Los Angeles, 22–28 June 1981. An expanded program, including abstracts of all presentations, a roster of participants, and other materials was published in Dance Research Journal 14, no. 1&2 (1981–1982).
The third annual conference was held at Barnard College, New York City, 15–17 February 1980. A prose report by Debra Hickenlooper Sowell was issued in typescript by the Program in Dance, University of California, Riverside.
The second annual conference was held at Barnard College, New York City, 16–18 February 1979. Co-sponsored by the Dance Program, Barnard College, and the Dance Collection of the New York Public Library, its stated focus was "Western Dance History: Resources and Teaching Methods." A report by Janice Tetelbaum, including the conference program, was published in Dance Research Journal 11, no. 1&2 (1978–1979).