Membership in SDHS is open to all persons and organizations interested in advancing the field of dance studies through research, publication, performance, and outreach to audiences across the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Annual dues are competitive with similar organizations and are reduced for students and for seniors and retirees. Additional contributions at any level beyond the basic membership are always welcome. Individual membership fees are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law as contributions to a not-for-profit organization.
The membership year is the same as the calendar year, 1 January through 31 December.
Individual Membership Benefits
- Voting privileges
- Discounted conference registration for SDHS and affiliated organizations, including CORD (Congress on Research in Dance), DCA (Dance Critics Association), and SCDS/SECD (The Society for Canadian Dance Studies/La Société des etudes canadiennes en danse)
- Access to members-only areas of the SDHS website
- Access to the current online membership directory
- Access to all online SDHS Publications
- Copy of book from annual book series, Studies in Dance History, published by the University of Wisconsin Press
- Annual Conference Proceedings
- Annual periodical Conversations Across the Field of Dance Studies
- Members-Only listserve circulating job announcements, information on fellowships, conferences, and publications
Institutional Membership Benefits
Institutional members are entitled to discounted conference registration for SDHS conferences for up to two individuals; one copy of the book from annual book series, Studies in Dance History, published by the University of Wisconsin Press; a printed copy of the annual Conference Proceedings; and one copy of the annual periodical Conversations Across the Field of Dance Studies
Students are a vital part of SDHS, comprising over 15% of the current membership. As an SDHS student member, you are in touch with a network of students across the globe with varied interests in dance studies. You also have the opportunity to meet dance scholars and mentors through the organization, and to present papers at the SDHS annual conference. The Students in SDHS Working Group provides a forum for students to dialogue through discussions at conferences, and on an online listserve.
SDHS student members are eligible for two awards granted for the annual conference. Both the Selma Jeanne Cohen Award for outstanding dance scholarship of a conference paper, and the Graduate Student Travel Grants for subsidizing student travel to conferences, offer students the opportunity to present a paper or attend a conference by partially defraying SDHS conference costs.
Annual dues and payments:
|Membership level||Annual dues|
** Student must be enrolled full-time in degree granting program; retired/senior must be over 62 years old and retired from full-time employment.
For online membership or renewal, please click here to navigate to the Join or Renew page.
For a downloadable, printable mail-in form, please contact SDHS at the address below.
Please mail all paper forms to:
Society of Dance History Scholars
3416 Primm Lane
Birmingham, AL 35216